Warm Up Your Fall With This Recipe!
These are instructions for stove top, but at the bottom you can find slow cooker instructions as well.
Note: Great way to use up chili leftovers is on nachos (directions… and mouth watering photo… also at the bottom).
My husband usually flavours our chili (and he’s great at it!!), but he and my cousin’s husband Tim had taken all the kids to the park… so I thought, hey I’ll figure this out myself and it turned out amazing… and now I’m sharing it with you!
Printable at the very end for your convenience!
Prep time: Approximately 30 mins
Simmer time: An additional 30-45 min
1.5 – 2 lbs of lean ground beef
1 medium sized onion
1 Tbs chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
2 Tbs honey
1 can black beans rinsed
1 can tomato sauce
1 can corn, with juice (whole kernel or niblets… frozen would work as well)
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
1.5 cups chopped zucchini
Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a large pot on the stove, place ground beef. Salt & pepper your meat, add your onion. Brown the meat over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
- Add garlic, and next 9 ingredients. (Note: remember to rinse your canned black beans in a colander to remove all the starch. Leave the juice from the canned corn and canned diced tomatoes for flavour).
- Bring to a boil, then turn it down to low heat and allow to simmer slightly uncovered for 30 – 45 min.
- While the chili is simmering, dice up the zucchini, add it in for the last 7-10 minutes depending on how tender you want them to be. I like mine… not mushy.
Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese & bread of your choice. We also like to serve it with nacho chips & my guacamole.
I forgot to take a photo of the chili the night I made it, so I had to use this photo of miniature version with the little we had left… whoops…
And don’t forget about this AMAZING way to use up leftovers:
Leftover chili cheesey nachos directions:
Just melt cheese on tortilla chips and then pour chili over top. bake at 375 degrees F until cheese is melted. We used mozzarella cheese on half, marble on the other half. We had this with salsa, sour cream, and a fresh guacamole made by my cousin Tina this time.
I want to eat this… right now…
Slow cooker instructions:
- Brown salt & peppered meat on the stove with your onion until browned. Drain excess grease.
- Pour meat into your slow cooker and then add all ingredients except zucchini. Set on low 4 hours.
- After 4 hours add in zucchini for last 30 minutes.
And here is the printable for you!!